Dispatches from a go-gettin journalist. Because not all Army wives live behind the lines...

Monday, April 11, 2011

J-Hubs

There's a stereotype (not completely unfounded) that Army wives are well... married to the military. Their lives completely revolve around the Army and their purpose is support -- support the hubs, the cause, the brats, the home.

Well, that's not all that untrue. But for some of us, including myself, we've got a life of our own. We don't live on base, our life is not just Army all the time (I thank goodness!!.. sometimes.) We take on the additional role of balancing Army and civilian life.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love supporting Superman through all of his successes. And I absolutely love Army life. On those days, Superman calls me the Ah-mee Wife.

Homes for Our Troops Benefit Gala 

But there are some days where my career and life take the front seat. And Superman takes the supporting role. Like this past weekend when I accepted a professional journalism award at a dinner in DC.

My award dinner!

And judging by the proud look in his eyes, and the fact that he makes me smile at him a few times during the night so he can check my teeth before I took the stage, I'd say he doesn't mind taking the supporting role so much.  

And on those days, Superman coined himself as J-Hubs [get it? As in journalism hubs].

I'm happy we're not all Civilian and not all Army. Ya gotta give a little and take a little once in a while to get the best of both worlds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment