Dispatches from a go-gettin journalist. Because not all Army wives live behind the lines...

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Real Housewife

Within 24 hours of moving in, Superman spent his quick 48-hour drop-in getting right to work.


48 hours later -- one project, almost done!



And while Superman is keeping up with his end of the moving bargain... I'm trying to catch up on my own. Introducing, the real housewife of the Bean. Where you'll see alot of this: 


And realizing that you can't live without this: 


Well, for only one day really. Today I start my new job -- and thank God for that! Because this whole housewife thing  that went down for a full 24 hours yesterday -- besides the social life part of it -- is not for me. 

A few weeks ago, we had dinner with another Army couple whose husband is in the same law enforcement class as Superman -- let's call him "Nice Guy" (a.k.a. the kind of guy I'm glad to see Superman making nice with). Nice Guy mentioned that his fiance shouldn't really rush into getting a job -- their careers will let us live comfortably anyway. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

But Nice Guy you don't get it (I didn't say, of course). I'm a 3-jobs kinda gal. I'm a do-it-because-I-love-it. I'm a if-I-don't-do-it-I'll-go-out-of-my-mind. One day of this life is quite enough for the 20-something me who's everything but a full-time Ms. Suzy Homemaker.

Listen, I'm all about protecting and serving. And I know there's an image of us gals rocking our chairs next to a window while sewing patches onto our husbands uniforms, looking out our front porch where our American flags wave fiercely, waiting for our husbands to come home each night.

Nice guy, I'm glad you've found that.

But if I'm not out rocking my stilettos, publishing a great story, working towards the next big step, all while cleaning up after Superman's mess, cooking some decent food, and making sure the big business decisions are made -- well then, you'll more likely find me throwing that rocking chair out the window because I'm not sittin on it, and I sure as hell ain't waitin on anybody.

Don't you worry about a thing. (I'm saying this more to my own self than anyone else right now). Our Bean life will certainly involve more than just dates with Oreck and Tide. I'm wayyy more fabu than that!!!!!! 

Disclaimer: Nice guy was just that - a nice guy. He's great, and I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him around since the boys are close. So this isn't a knock at him at all - just an entre to broach the subject of "how I roll."

No comments:

Post a Comment