Dispatches from a go-gettin journalist. Because not all Army wives live behind the lines...

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shenandoah

DC was just as I remembered it. The city is quiet, the streets are clean. The truth is you can polish it as much as you'd like, but it's a city after all. And when you're trying to take a vacation from the "big" city, you want to see trees instead of buildings, and wildlife instead of people (although many times in the apple, it can be easy to confuse the the two creatures).

One of the best parts of our trip was spending two days with my cousin Nora and her husband and kids in Virginia. We ventured to Harper's Ferry, West Virginia for the day to see in the civil war town and get as far away as possible from anything that sounded like cars, smelled like pushcart food, and felt like crowds.

Harper's Ferry is a mill town lodged between the mountains, and the Shenandoah River runs right through. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful it is there. So beautiful it made us forget about every day that would become the long year ahead.

Seeing Superman loving the kiddos made me feel something I have never felt before. At one point, little Noelle recited the Pledge of Allegiance by heart, and Superman had tears in his eyes. I couldn't help but force myself to take in all that I was seeing and worry later about how I felt.
Now I know. For the first time in a long time, life felt simple again.


No comments:

Post a Comment