Dispatches from a go-gettin journalist. Because not all Army wives live behind the lines...

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lessons

It's hard to be a writer in New York City.

It's even harder when you don't have a cushy 9 to 5. Still, my inspirational writing teacher has had her byline slapped on major publications like the New York Times on a regular basis,while managing to get married, raise two babies, and sustain.

If you don't live in New York City, then translation: near impossible, people!

What gets to me the most -- she told me that many times she was asked to be hired on staff, but she refused every time. She refused because she said nothing seemed more "delicious" to her than the idea of raising her babies and giving it everything she's got.

But I don't get it, I told her.

Then you're not ready, she said.

Our conversations are always so honest that sometimes it takes me days to really accept what she tells me. In fact, sometimes I spend weeks thinking about it. About letting my byline go, about starting something new. About potential post-Apple depression. About wrong timing, about right timing, about knowing the difference.

Today was our final meeting day, and she said not to get so wrapped up about what that part of the future holds, whenever it will be held. Instead, she left me with some of the best writing and life advice I've gotten in a long while:

Don't take no for an answer. Take every assignment in life and prove yourself. Be creative. Be easy to work with and be can-do. Pick somebody strong who will go to bat for you. Have all your wits about you. Don't get rattled by anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment